Tuesday, August 28, 2012

10 Thought Tuesday ~ Last Tuesday of Summer ~

Today in 1833, an act abolishing slavery throughout the British Colonies received royal assent and came into force on Aug. 1, 1834. Also today in 1963, Martin Luther King delivered his famous "I have a dream" speech to almost 250,000 demonstrators in Washington and in 1904, the first jail sentence for speeding was handed down in Newport, R.I. -- five days -- for driving 32 km/h.
 Today is also the day the plumber is here to fix Renter Person's toilet.  Hurray!
 And the last Tuesday of my summer vacation.
*insert the longest saddest face imaginable*
It's okay.  I'll get over it eventually.  Like.....by next July. 
1.  For those who don't know Renter Person, or RP as I so affectionately call him, is our renter in the basement suite of our bungalow.  He's probably the best renter we've ever had, but also the worst.  He tends to break things....not always his fault....and he stinks up the house with his cooking.  Oh yeah.....and then there's the couple times we've seen him nekkid.  Renting is certainly an adventure.
2.  Tonight I have a staff meeting regarding the new school year.  In case you have just found my little corner of the world here, I am a piano teacher.  I love my job, but like most kids I do dread the return of the fall routine.  "Mom!  I don't wanna go to school!"
3.  I am very relieved that my dental appointment went well yesterday.  It had been well over a year since I'd been to have a cleaning or a check up.  The hygienist said that my teeth were remarkably clean for it being that long.  She also mentioned I'm brushing my fangs too hard and she suggested a fluoride mouth wash.  Back when I was 20 my dentist told me to use a mouth wash like that but no one since thought it was necessary.  I thought that was interesting.  Anyhow, I left with my new purple toothbrush and a box of floss.
4.  Brandy~puppy the Super Dog has been doing well.  She likes her new Royal Canin Cocker Spaniel food.  I haven't noticed a change in her stinky ol' ears yet.  There isn't a cleaner around that takes care of them right and trust me, I've tried them all.  So now, I'm using my Kirkland make-up remover wipes.  I've used them on my ears and it makes them dry out so I thought maybe they'd have the same effect on Brandy.
5.  People ask me what I've done this summer and I feel weird saying nothing.  I mean, we've done stuff, but we haven't gone anywhere.  We did the whole FolkFest thing which was lot's of fun.  We've taken walks and just enjoyed Toon Town.  I wish we could have gone camping though, I miss the campfire.  Actually, I might just miss the smores associated with the campfire.
6.  I have a thing for office supplies.  Well, maybe not all office supplies but specifically pens.  I am a pen collector.  I have pens that light up and blink and write in funky colours.  It might be an obsession.  I have pens from New York and I have pens from Dollarama.  My only requirement is that they write well.  I'm very protective of my pens.  I don't lend them out unless they are a generic variety.  It really bothers me when they go missing from my classroom as well.
7.  In my walk in pantry is a smores maker.  The smores maker is a little jar of canned fire and you put your marshmellow on a metal stick and toast away.  Then there's little bowls for crackers and chocolate and other yummy things.  It was a birthday present from my In Laws a number of years ago.  It still isn't like a campfire though.
8.  I also own a bread maker, sandwich maker, popcorn popper, and quesadilla maker.  I sound like a university student.  Those makers are hardly ever used anymore.  Hubby says we should form a club and rent out our appliances so people don't have to buy them and then they take up space in thei pantry or house.  He might be onto something there.....
9.  My plan for this afternoon is to get my floors vacuumed, swept, and mopped.  It is the most detestable of all the household chores in my opinion.  
10.  I have two  new back to work outfits and one new pair of shoes.  The shoes are red.  I love coloured shoes.  I wish I could get green shoes.  Green is the colour.

 
 

16 comments:

  1. I like your husband's idea about the appliance club, lol. It would be perfect! (Unless you had to be the one to store/properly clean the appliance. Not everyone has the same idea of what clean is.)

    I have to go outside and do some mowing before I go to school to work on my classroom. I also have to make a birthday cake, which means I have to go buy sugar. I hate buying sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My classroom is pretty much ready to go. The last time I was in I didn't have a piano but my director assured me it would be there for day one. It's kind of a necessity.

    The appliance club would be great for those fad appliances. We buy them and use them and then they get put away and never used again. Yet, you don't want to sell them or give them away because they were expensive and you just might need them again some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have a lot of different kinds of makers, but I have at least 3, possibly 4, waffle makers, all inherited from Grandma. The funny thing is that I can't actually remember Grandma ever making waffles.

    I didn't know teachers went back-to-school clothes shopping, too (and I used to be a teacher)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible your Grandma was a victim of going out for waffles once and saying she enjoyed them....then suddenly everyone gave her waffle makers LOL That happened to someone I know....she wore a sweater once with a cat embroidered on it, then suddenly everyone started giving her cat stuff and her classroom was plastered with them.

      I needed a few things. My weight unfortunately has increased over the last year in spite of my trying to decrease. So some of my staple wardrobe items needed replacing...plus colours change. And you know...I just plain love shopping.

      Delete
  4. Does anyone remember whose house the milk bone maker is at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Augie! Would you believe I own a dog bone cookie cutter and even have a dog cookie recipe book? I've made them twice and ever since Brandy thinks aaaalllll the cookies are for her.

      Delete
  5. Interesting post...Hi, I'm Lyn you come up on my page now, you are probably from one of the circles that migrated to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I've seen your face too. I think we have mutual friends. I know I looked but I can't remember who it was.

      I do this 10 thought thing all the time. It's just a random thing and conveys what's going on and how I'm feeling at the time. But since I've moved to Blogger less than a month ago...it's still new here.

      Delete
  6. I have a sno-cone maker that can go to the appliance club...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GASP!!!! I'd love a snow cone!

      Delete
    2. Well, now I want a snow cone...

      Delete
    3. I remember when my parents first started letting me go to the mall, which was about 4 blocks from home. They had a snow cone machine in the Woolco. Man those were good...and sweet.

      Delete
  7. Great idea! Can I add a Foreman grill to the club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a Foreman grill! I used to use that thing allll the time. It's probably been 5 years since I've last used it.

      Delete
  8. I know exactly how you feel about going back to school. I'm not due to go back until next Monday but had to go in yesterday as we'd had a break in :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like this summer went much too fast. I did plenty of things and had fun and enjoyed myself. Yet I feel like I didn't do enough.

      A break in...wow, that's unfortunate. It's probably a pain to deal with too.

      Delete