Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chapter Eight [It's a Novel Idea]

Wouldn't you know it? The day I want to be up early I end up sleeping in. I jumped out of bed running for the shower. I didn't know what time or when Reese would arrive, but I certainly didn't want to be in my pyjamas when he did.

I hit the shower turning the hot water up until it warmed my morning skin. I used my raspberry body wash knowing that it would make me smell good. When I was thoroughly squeaky clean I shut the water off and grabbed a towel to dry off then I twisted my hair up into a turban. I slipped into my bath robe just as I heard the ring of my phone.

It couldn't be Reese because I hadn't given him my phone number. It was easy to find if he really wanted to, I justified, as it was in the phone book. But I doubted that if he wanted to arrive as a surprise that he'd phone first. It had rang about 4 times by the time I got to the phone. I clicked the talk button saying, “Hello.” But there was nothing but dial tone. I flipped back and sighed.....unknown name. It had probably been Will. I was mulling that over when there was a knock at the door.

Great. Not much I can do now, I realized with dread. I went to the door, opening it cautiously as Reese stood before me. He held a bag in one hand and was tucking his cell phone into his pocket with the other. Interesting. Today he was wearing a dark blue shirt but had on the same leather jacket and jeans. My heart pitter-pattered.

It wasn't until he broke out in laughter that I came back to the present realizing my current state of fashion. I blushed and stammered. “Um.....I kinda slept in.”

Reese moved past me and set the bag on the kitchen counter. He opened it up to set down two cups of Tim Horton's coffee down. “I couldn't get near Starbuck's today so I popped into Tim Horton's instead.” He then removed a small box containing Tim Bits. “I didn't know what your favourite is so I got them all.”

“Wow! Timmies and donuts.” I moved closer to examine the display. My mouth watered for several reasons. “You are a man after my own heart.” I looked up at him and his gorgeous blue eyes were dancing. Sigh. I took the coffee and removed the lid. I inhaled sharply and then took a sip. “It's wonderful, thank you, and just what I needed.”

“Okay, well you have to get yourself ready.” Reese told me reaching up to push back a strand of hair that had managed to pop out from behind my turban. My knees went weak and it was nearly impossible to walk away, but I did.

In my bedroom, I threw on my favourite pair of jeans and chose a blue tank top to go under my white blouse. Blue brought out the colour of my own eyes. Next I dried my hair and arranged and rearranged it until I thought it was not that unruly. I added some simple makeup and a little lip gloss. I emerged from the bedroom looking like a changed woman. Reese smiled at me when I entered the kitchen going for the coffee and donuts again. It was infectious and I felt myself smiling too.

He let me gobble in silence for a few minutes. “I just want to warn you.” He frowned a little. “We might run into trouble. It could be a little hard to get around today.”

“That's okay.....I attract trouble.” I thought. “I feel safe with you.”

“I'm just warning you that things might get a little strange.”

“I attract strange too.” I mused, but then quickly added. “You don't fit into that category though.”

“We'll see about that.” He paused. “There's a car waiting for us down there.” Reese pointed through the window to the street.

“Wow. We're travelling in style.”

“Its a necessity really.....I don't drive.”

“What? How could you not drive?”

“I just never learned.” Reese shrugged.

I studied his expression. There was so much I had to learn about Reese. He was growing more mysterious each time I saw him. I brushed some powdered sugar from my mouth savouring the last bit of blueberry jam from the TimBit. “I could teach you.” I suggested.

“You would put your life in my hands?” Reese mused. “It could be dangerous.”

“I laugh in the face of danger.” I guffawed. “You really should learn, though, you can't depend on someone else forever.”

“I can drive a mean go cart.” He paused stepping towards me. The butterflies started again. Reese reached over and took the last donut.....it was a honey cruller. “Its just regular cars I'm not so good with.”

“Let's go drive go carts then.” I stroked a little piece of crumb from his cheek. “Unless you have other ideas.....I'll go willingly to wherever you want.”

“No. Go carts it is.”

I tossed the empty donut box in the garbage can and drained the last of my coffee. Reese was already finished with his and he threw his in the trash as well. I gathered my purse and jacket and when I reached for the door Reese opened it and held it open for me then gently pressed on the small of my back as I walked through. I watched as he locked and closed the door.

We walked down the hallway, down the stairs and out the security doors. On the street, parked and waiting was a black shiny limo. I gasped. “A limo?” I questioned.

Reese grinned. “Its a perk of my profession.”

The driver got out, walked around the car and opened the back door for us. My look was still shock. I seated myself inside as Reese sat across from me. I can't sit backwards, it makes me sick. Reese clicked a little switch and spoke to the driver. “We are going to race go carts.” The driver nodded and soon we were pulling away from the curb.

“This is something else.”

Reese's eyes twinkled.

“So Reese what is it exactly that you do?” I questioned finally coming to my senses.

He pressed his lips into a thin line. “I don't really want to talk about it. Its safer if I don't include you in that part of my life.”

What could it be? CIA? FBI? Bond, James Bond?

“You'll have to tell me sooner or later.”

Reese looked out the tinted window. “Not until I have to.”

This was too tense. I didn't like it. I didn't want to get off on such a bad start. “I am so going to beat you.” I challenged.

“Oh really?” Reese looked back. “You care to make a wager on that?”

“The loser buys lunch?”

“That's too easy.” He grinned mischievously. “We have to come up with something much more original than that!”

I laughed and then sat back to enjoy the ride. I hadn't ridden in a limo before. I watched the houses and business go by the window. The car had just turned to the street where the Kart Trak was located. Reese's expression changed again. “Oh no.” He groaned.

I turned to look out the back window to see whatever it was that Reese had seen. All I saw was purple convertible.

Reese clicked on the intercom. “It looks like we've got company.” The driver looked checked out his mirrors. Reese looked at me, “I think we're going to have to take a little detour.”

“Why? What's going on?”

“One of those strange things I told you about.” Reese explained. “Sometimes its hard to go unnoticed.”

“A limo is a little noticeable.”

“I guess I didn't think that part through.”

The limo had turned a few corners but the purple convertible was staying close. There was lots of traffic and it wasn't easy for a large car to get lost in it. Then an idea occurred to me. “You want to lose the purple dude?” Reese nodded his head. I thought out loud. “Well, lots of times limo's are used for funerals around here. We are really close to a few funeral homes. Maybe we could stop at one and he would just think he had the wrong car or something.”

Reese mulled it over. Then he started to smile. “I like it. It might work” Then he was on the intercom again explaining our plan to the driver. When he was done, he spoke again to me, “We'll get out and pretend to go into the funeral home. Do you think you can do that? We'll walk quickly and try not to look back.....make it look like that's where we were going all along.” I nodded.

When the limo pulled up at the doors of the funeral home Reese grabbed the door handle and pushed the door open. I got out and looked to the ground.....trying to look sad. Reese slammed the door behind me. He put his arm around my waist and we proceeded to the double door of the funeral home. When we were at the door, I couldn't help but steal a look. The purple convertible guy was parked behind the limo and had a pretty impressive looking camera. Snap! Reese urged me through the doors.

We paused in the entrance. There was quiet music playing and the lights were dimmed. Thank goodness there weren't any services going on at the moment. We waited for our eyes to adjust. A tall thin man an a pin striped suit was making his way to us. “I'll do the talking.” Reese whispered.

“What can I do for you?”

“Do you have a back door?” Reese asked.

“Yes of course, but why.....”

Reese cut him off. “Can you show us the way?” He took out a bill and I was unsure of the denomination, but it must have been impressive because the man motioned for us to follow him. We walked through an empty chapel, behind the pulpit and out a side door. There was a narrow hallway and we followed the man to a door at the end. He opened it letting in sunlight. “Thank you.” Reese commented as we stepped through to find ourselves in a back alley. A slushy and mucky back alley.

This was the end of my plan. “Now what?” I said and we stared at each other for a few seconds before breaking into hysterical laughter. Here we were in the middle of no where without any transportation but the foot-mobile.

Reese took my hand. “I guess we walk.” We walked to the end of the alley and thankfully there were no purple cars in sight. There was a bus stop not far away.

“We can go for a bus ride again.” I motioned to the bus stop marker.

“I have a better idea. Are you okay to walk for a little while?” Reese asked. “We're not that far from where I'm staying. We could hide out in my hotel for the afternoon. If you trust me after that.”

“Oh, I trust you.” I answered. Reese took my hand again and we began to walk. It was more of a leisurely stroll but every so often Reese would look up and around to check out his surroundings.

“That must have been kind of weird for you.” Reese said.

“Well, I did tell you that I attract weird.” I stated. “But.....yeah.....that rates right up there.”

“I find that hard to believe.”

“No, its true.” I began. “This one time I was waiting for my Dad to pick me up.....he was always late....and this strange woman kept saying how we'd be friends and go for coffee.”

“Well I met you at a coffee shop.” Reese grinned his lop sided grin.

“Yeah....but it was different. This was at 5 in the morning!” I stopped. “Then there was the time a little old lady hugged me in the grocery store.”

“Okay.....okay, I get the picture.” Reese put his hands up to show that I could stop with my weird stories. “So now, I'm thinking it was fate. I'm weird and you attract me.”

“I wouldn't really say it that way!” I pleaded.

Reese laughed. “I was only teasing.” He smiled again.

Soon the Parktown Hotel came into view. “You're staying at the Parktown?”

“Yes.” Reese looked at me quizzically.

“There's nothing wrong with that.....I just thought, what with the limo and all you'd be staying somewhere like the Bessborough.”

“That would be a great hotel, but as it turns out its difficult to get rooms in this city.” He added. “Especially since I'm going to be here a few weeks.”

We entered the hotel which overlooked part of the river and one of Saskatoon's many bridges. We rode the elevator in silence up to the sixth floor. Reese led me past some security people who nodded hello as he walked by and let me into his hotel room.

It had once been clean I assumed. But now it was littered with clothing, Starbucks coffee cups and Verns pizza boxes. “um, ya, I didn't think I'd be having company.” Reese tried to explain as he gathered things and threw them into the closet.

It was a regular hotel room but it had a couch and table and chairs. There was a small fridge beside the desk and a large TV. On the desk was a laptop computer. It was displaying a screen saver of an aquarium and making a gurgling noise. I set my purse down on the desk beside it.

“Can I get you something?” Reese asked moving a guitar out of the way to open the mini fridge. “I've got.....juice boxes.....cheese sticks.....pudding cups.....”

“Oooh.....I'll have a pudding cup.” Reese pulled out two which were Rocky Road flavor. He found plastic spoons beside the coffee maker. We sat at the table by the window to enjoy our feast. “I have to admit, I've never been on a date like this!”

Reese grimaced. “This is not how I wanted things to turn out.”

“Its perfect.” I stated. “I don't care as long as I get to be with you.”

“You're delusional.” Reese threw his empty pudding into the trash can. “How could you want to be around all this.” He said waving his hands around.

“Well, you could stand to have a maid.”

“That's not what i meant.”

“Reese.....I don't have much excitement in my life.” I tried to explain. “I get up in the morning and go to work and then I go home. Sometimes things happen and more often they don't. So when someone comes along and shines some sunshine into my boring life I can't help but be thrilled.”

Reese moved his chair so he was seated directly across from me. He took my hand into his and studied it momentarily. “Most people who get close to me just want a piece of it all. Its very hard to have relationships.” Why did this sound familiar? “What is it that you want?”

I was enraged. “Wha.....What? I don't want anything!” I shouted. Reese looked pained. “How could you even ask that? I just want to get to know you. I thought we were kind of connecting.....you know?” I got up from my chair and in a moment had my bag thrown over my shoulder and was striding for the door. If that's how he wanted to be......

“Wait.” Reese pleaded. He reached for me spinning me around and cupped his hands around my face. “Don't.....that's what I want too.”

And then he leaned close to me slowly and softly pressing his lips to mine so sweetly that my knees almost buckled and the room spun around making nothing else in the entire world matter.



6 comments:

  1. *smile* I like it. The tender early part of learning each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted it to be really sweet...I wanted him to be different than the other men she's been around.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, who drives a purple convertible? A crazy person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Chapter 8? I think I missed 6 chapters....

      Delete
    2. When I was in Portland Oregon at Bennihannas [where lot's of celebs have been known to canoodle] there was a purple convertible in the parking lot. I think it was an MG too. It stuck with me.

      Delete
    3. And I started posting this on Multiply but all the chapters are here...some need to be fixed or rewritten but they are here. I post a new one every Wednesday.

      Delete