Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chapter Ten [It's a Novel Idea]


I burst into my apartment tossing the grocery bags to the counter. I could hear my phone ringing from the hallway. I grabbed it from its docking station. “Hello?” I answered breathless. I had walked the two blocks and back to the grocery store. Now that I didn't have a car, I was going to have to get used to all the walking.

“Hi.....Did I get you away from something?” It was Will.

“I'm just getting home.” I kicked the door shut and shrugged out of my jacket. “I was out getting some groceries.”

“Its a good day to do errands I suppose.”

“Well, I had company this afternoon and I didn't have a thing on hand.”

“That seems to be going around.”

I laughed. “Not much you can make with a fridge full of condiments.” I started taking things out of my shopping bags and put them away.

“So Ann how has life been treating you?”

“Great actually.” I thought back to the afternoon and to Reese's visit. “I've met the most interesting, mysterious and infuriating man.”

Will laughed. “Opposites attract.....at least that's what people say.”

“I shouldn't say much. I mean there really isn't that much to say. I don't know very much about him.” I paused. “It's like I only know one side of him.”

“Maybe he has a good reason for not letting you know all his secrets.” Was will actually defending Reese?

“He says he does.” I was still sticking groceries in cabinets. I left the box of chocolate chip cookies out and ripped open the package. I took one out and crunched into it. “Enough about me.....what have you been up to?”

“I've been on a date.” Will answered.

“Really?”

“Yup, Mr. Lonely just might have found himself a girl.”

“What's she like?”

“She's responsible, funny and impossibly cute.” Gosh, that's how I would like to be described. It made me think.

“Ree.....er, Will, Why do you think it's so easy for us to talk like this?” The question hung out over the air waves.

“I know what you mean.” Will paused. “It's like we're old friends.”

I picked at my cookie. “Exactly, I feel like I already know you. Like we are just long distance friends.”

“Like we've already met.”

“Do you think we have?” I thought out loud. “I mean maybe we've passed on the street and just smiled at each other and kept going.....we'd never know.”

“That's doubtful.” Will stated. “My life is very different from yours.”

“Why? Don't you think that could happen?”

“It's just that.....if you did see me out and about it would cause such a commotion and you'd probably find yourself wrapped up in something you would want to run away screaming as fast as you could.”

Sounded like Frankenstein. “Maybe.....maybe not.”

“Ann, its just that.....if you knew.....saw the real me.....” His voice trailed off.

What was it with these guys? Why was they so guarded about their personal lives? My life seemed to be an open book. Of course there wasn't really that much to it. I worked. I slept. I worked some more. If it wasn't for Reese injected into my life I would actually wonder what the whole point of it was.

There was a door opening and closing in the background noise of Will's call. There was muffled talking.....running lines today.....blow me off like that.....

“Um. Sorry Ann, I have to run. There's something I've got to take care of here.”

“Okay Will. We'll talk again soon I'm sure.” But the line was already dead.

I poured myself a tall glass of milk and took another cookie from the box. I slumped into my dining room chair and dunked my cookie. I waited for the milk to drain off and thought about my life. On one hand I had Will. Granted I had no idea what he looked like, but we had some kind of connection.....maybe it was just a phone connection, but it was there. We could talk about anything. Almost. But, he was just a voice on a random phone call. But Reese was real. Beautiful Reese. There was an obvious magnetism there but he was so careful.....he only wanted me to see one part of his life. Why? I was so stubborn. I was going to find out one way or the other. I'd have to keep probing until he'd tell me.

The phone was ringing again. I jumped up to answer it. “Will, did you forget something?”

“Who?” the female voice asked. “Stacey this is Emily.”

“Oh Emily, I'm sorry I thought maybe you were somebody else.” I slumped back to my chair.

“Hey, well I got wind that some more of that movie filming is going on this evening again. Do you want to come?”

What excuse could I come up with? “I don't know.” Trying to think fast. “I don't think I'm up to it tonight. Celebrity stalking isn't really my thing.”

“Well, Re..... and M....ee....be there” her cell phone was breaking up.

“Emily you're breaking up.....I can't understand you.”

There was static, but then it cleared up. “Sorry I'm having trouble with this new phone.” She was crystal clear now. “So how about it?”

“Thanks for the invite though.” I told Emily. “But no.”

More static followed by a loud.....

Click.

1 comment:

  1. That's the problem with people these days, they don't even say good-bye before ringing off.

    ReplyDelete