Tuesday, October 16, 2012

10 Thought Tuesday ~ It's Not Winter Yet ~

It's not winter yet.  It was close.  There was that one day that it snowed all morning but luckily it melted as it hit the ground.  I switched my morning alarm to Let It Snow.  Ever since that day, we've had sunshine and nice temps.  I am trying to cherish these days.

I know what is to come.

But it's not winter yet.

1.  I went to Halloween Spirit yesterday.  I wasn't really looking for a costume but couldn't help noticing how small and inappropriate most costumes are.  I'm not talking about scary, I mean sexy.  There were 50 Shades of Grey outfits for adults.  What?  I bought fake green hair strips that clip into my own hair, some LED votive lights and Angry Birds socks.

2.  I am going as  myself for Halloween.  And by "myself" I mean, I'm going to go in full Roughrider Fan regalia.  You know, because that's how I roll in the 306.

3.  This Sunday is the first day of the Christmas Countdown.  There is a website called Organized Christmas.  I follow the plans every year for a stress free holiday.  It really works.

4.  Remembrance Day falls on a Sunday this year.  That means the "holiday" will be observed on Monday.  That means it will be a long weekend.

5.  The day before Remembrance Day, the 10th day of November 2012 will be written 10/11/12.

6.  The week of Halloween I have my students pick out their Christmas songs for the Christmas Recital.  I love teaching Christmas Songs.

7.  This Friday Brandy goes back to see Dr. Powell as a follow up about her ears.  She has awesome ears for the first time in years.  She's still somewhat fussy about her food.  I'm wondering if she has a tooth issue.  I'll ask when we go.

8.  This weekend we will insulate our windows with plastic.  It is a hateful job.  Last year we bought and put plastic on but it was a poor grade and wouldn't stay stuck.  We were angry and it was a waste of money.  This time we've found the brand that we used initially.  It will last 2 years of done correctly.

9.  I loved the crock pot recipe I made on the weekend.  This time of year makes me want to make comfort food.  I was wanting stew but with the current beef recall I'm a little shy on buying beef.  I'm going to research another chicken recipe for this weekend.  But the Chicken and Barley stew was a win!

10.  Don't tell anyone, but I've been into the Halloween candy.  No one will know unless they move the box.  Shhhh!

10 comments:

  1. I want to make chili but the prices om meat have nearly doubled in the last couple of weeks. It looks like I may be making vegetarian chili. Oh, well. It's healthier. I like your costume idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a massive beef recall. Even though the plant was shut down and danger seems to have passed...I don't really want to eat what's in the freezer and buying new beef...well...I'm skeered.

      We used to use the crock pot all the time and got away from it. It has served us for 3 meals. I think that's money well spent. Plus I like the adventure of a new recipe.

      The costume...well, I work with kids...I don't want to be something they don't understand. I don't want to be something inappropriate or trashy. So a Roughrider fan I will be!

      Delete
  2. I am not buying halloween candy until the day before I leave to go to Cranberry. Too tempting... I know I'll get into it.

    I like your costume idea. I got some face paint and a headband with cats on it like antenna. Just enough to participate...

    It's so great to hear about Brandy's ears being good! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy still has good days and rough days. She still is fussy about food. It's weird because in the morning she'd rather not eat and when I come home from work she's ravenous. I don't know what's going on there. But she's not losing weight so I guess its fine. She has times where she throw up and wags her tail. She has weird moments where she coughs and coughs and it scares me and makes me think of when she couldn't breath. But the last two weeks she's been the happiest little dog that there ever was. It must be a relief to not have itchy ears. I am happy to not have a smelly dog.

      Delete
  3. Hi!I hope you'll post a pic of you with the green hair strips in! Here, we write the date differently. Today is 10/16/12. So last Thursday was our 10/11/12! Coolio! I bought Halloween candy 2 months ago at Costco. It is nearly gone. Yep (points to self) and my dentist will benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I know that about the date. I had posted something then too but someone pointed out that Canadians write the date differently. I didn't know that which was weird since I am indeed Canadian lol

      I tried the green hair tonight. I'm going to have to cut it...the strips are longer than my hair. I wonder if I can curl them with a light curling iron. They look way too straight in my hair. I don't want to melt them!

      We bought the candy at Costco too. Shouldn't have bought stuff I like!

      Delete
  4. I miss buying Halloween candy, we live in the country now so no trick o treaters. I know what you mean about the sexy costumes..it is very hard to pick out decent costumes for the granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I've been through the same thing living in an apartment building. It feels like something is missing from the day.

      They had a sock monkey costume. I totally would have been a sock monkey if they'd have had it in a bigger size.

      Delete
  5. Love your thoughts. Need a pic of the green hair. You write the date the same as we do here. Day Month Year Seems logical to me! I'm boycotting 50 shades of grey - my daughter sent me a link to a hilarious review of the books that was far from complimentary. Hide the candy lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get a pic for Halloween in all my fine greenery lol

      I have not read 50 Shades either. There's so much hype about it. It doesn't seem necessary. I'll stick with my fluffy mysteries.

      Delete