Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chapter Eleven [It's a Novel Idea]

I was glad when I dragged myself from my bed to see that sunlight was not streaming in the window but that it was cloudy and raining. The rain had woken me up in the night but I liked the sound of the drops hitting the window. They had lulled me back to sleep quickly. But that's when the dreaming had started. Reese was starring in it and then there was someone else who's face I couldn't see. It had all turned bad when Frankenstein attacked. I shuddered at the memory.

I had gone through my morning routine swiftly. I did the same things in the same order every work day morning. I probably could do it in my sleep if I really needed to. The traffic was heavy this morning. I turned on my car radio as I drove to the downtown.

.....movie filming again on the river bank tying up lot's of intersections.....plan ahead.....Watch out for driving downtown today folks.....Police are urging fans to stay away....

Ugh! I switched off the radio. I wished I had known that before I had left home. Thankfully though, traffic was moving steadily enough and since the bank is just on the edge of the downtown core I was able to get to work without too much of a hassle.

I pulled into my parking spot behind the bank. Emily was just going in the door and held the door for me. She was all excited. “Did you hear on the radio about the filming?”

“Ya” I answered entering the back of the building. “Traffic was all snarled up.”

“If I didn't have to work today, I'd be down there watching!” We walked into the staff room.

I hung up my jacket and shook my head. Emily seemed more like a crazed teenager than the 25 year old she was. “What are they filming anyway?”

“You mean you don't know?” Emily watched my expression. “I mean I've seen you carrying the book around and all.”

“What do you mean.....I've been reading Dusk, but.....”

“That's right, silly!” She laughed at my expense. “That's why every woman with eyes has been following that hunky.....”

“Alright ladies,” Nate interrupted us. “Time to get to work. Clock's tickin'.”

“We'll talk later.” Emily said as we were taking our places at our windows.

It hadn't taken long and the sleepiness of the night before had my looking for a stool. I pulled it up to my counter and sat down. Mornings were generally slow and it was even quieter than normal with traffic being rerouted downtown. Why was it that I didn't know all these things that Emily knew? I mean I was a functioning member of society. How did I miss out on this stuff? I wasn't less of a girl. Maybe it was a maturity thing.

I was brought out of my thoughts by a stranger at the customer service counter which was being manned by Alex today. We had kept our distance since.....well, you know.

“I'm looking for Stacey Anders.” The man said.

Alex was leading him my way. He looked average. He looked somewhat nice. He couldn't be from revenue canada.....I wasn't a wanted woman.....that I knew of, anyway. “This is Stacey.” Alex told the man. He stayed just a minute to make sure I was okay. That was uncharacteristic and sweet, but totally not needed.

“I have a message for you.” The man told me.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“I'm James.” He explained. “Mr. Reese's assistant.”

“Oh.” Snazzy! He has an assistant. Cool.

“I'm supposed to give you a message. Mr. Reese apologizes that he cannot come himself. He's rather tied up this morning.” James smiled and then slid an envelope to me on the counter. The envelope had the insignia and stamp of Peake Entertainment on it.

“Thanks.” I took the envelope. James nodded, turned and walked away.

The envelope was only sealed with a thin piece of tape. I used my letter opener from my drawer to slide it open. I unfolded the note paper that was inside.

I can't wait to see you again. Meet me in the lobby of the Bessborough as soon as you are finished work. I'll send a car to pick you up.
Reese.

Oh my God.” Emily was looking over my shoulder reading my note.

She has a secret admirer-er.” Alex was there too.

I looked around. Even Nate who was across the bank floor looked interested. Or maybe he was perturbed that no one was working. I crumbled the note up so no one could read it. I turned on my stool to look at Emily. Her pleading eyes wanted details.

I met him a couple of weeks ago and we kind of hit it off.” Although hit it off was an understatement. I was finding it hard to be away from him too.

What does he look like? What does he do?” The questions spilled from Emily with lightening speed. Alex had walked away mumbling something about girl talk.

I thought about what he looks like. His messy brown hair, his piercing blue eyes, his hands on my face and his lips......

Earth to Stacey.” Emily wanted to know now.

He is so cute, Em.” I couldn't help but smile. “He's got this messy hair do and the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. He smiles.....oh man, when he smiles this crooked smile at me.....”

This sounds familiar.” Emily was saying. She was walking back to her counter. She opened a drawer and came back with a magazine. She waved it at me. “Does he look anything like this?”

Yeah, right.” I was about to say but then my eyes focused on the cover.

Oh. My. God.

A million thoughts sped through my mind. There he was on the cover of this magazine his blue eyes looking back at me. The headline 'Rising Dusk Star William Reese'. I grabbed it from her.

William Reese? William.....Reese. Will. Reese.

Phone conversations echoed in my head. If you knew the real me. Can't tell you. You'd run away screaming. Then live conversations. I'm in an industry where its really hard to trust people.

All the pieces fit together like a perfect jigsaw puzzle. Of course I felt like Will was an old friend. I had spent the whole weekend with him. He had kissed me. He had held me. He wouldn't tell me things like Reese wouldn't. He couldn't wait to see me again.

Stacey does he look like this guy?”

I finally cleared my head enough to speak. “Em, he doesn't just look like this.” I looked up at her questioning eyes. She was going to freak out. “Em, this IS him.”

The look on her face was stunning. She looked like I felt.

Will was Reese. I had seen him.....not only passing on the street.....passing through my life. I was in love with a movie star.

And he couldn't wait to see me.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful writing!! Can't wait to read more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks! I was posting regularly and then got side tracked for a few weeks. I wasn't sure if this chapter was just right. But I just kept feeling it had to happen this way.

      Delete